The happiest place on earth...is right where I wanna be...with my own family!

The happiest place on earth...is right where I wanna be...with my own family!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cailee...Our Brave Little Soldier

As most of you know, Cailee had her first IV treatment this past Friday. Overall, she did really good. She was most definately a brave soldier to endure what she went through. We (Cailee, Madison, my Mom and I) got to the hospital around 8:30 a.m. and they got her weight and height. We went into the room she was going to be in and got things settled. She started out with smiles on her face (nervous smiles, but a smile none the less).


They took her vitals and started getting her hooked up to all the monitors. She had to have on three monitors for her heart, a monitor on her finger for her oxygen level and the blood pressure cuff on her leg. All which stayed on the whole time.




When she was all hooked up, Cailee wanted to find out what special things Grandma and Grandpa Lynn had done for her to play with while she was at the hospital, so she got to open it then! She loves the puppy purse she got. She named her Ellie and says she's our family dog.
Both girls are excited that Cailee got a new Ariel princess (polly pocket size) so that there are two mermaid fins to play with. Thanks Mom and Dad! Then came the hard part...getting the IV in. I held Cailee while the nurses put in the IV. My Mom stayed close by and was a great comfort to both of us. I never thought it would be so hard to hold down my little girl while she cried...all I wanted to do was tell hem to stop. I think my desire to not let her know I was crying too made it so I didn't say anything.

Once the IV was in and they drew what blood they needed, she was able to settle in a bit better. As you can see in the picture, she wasn't thrilled. Her hand had to be taped to a board so she couldn't move her hand and wrist. It made it hard for her to play too much since she couldn't use both hands. So most of the day was spent watching cartoons or movies.



For the most part, her body seemed to tolerate the medication fine, except when they tried to change the dose to 75 mg. She started coughing and couldn't seem to stop. She told me, "Mom, I think I can't breath." Thank goodness the nurse was in the room when it happened. Cailee's heart rate jumped up too high and she was as white as a sheet. I thought she was going to throw up, but thankfully she didn't.


The nurse immediately got out the meds she needed to take care of the reaction and got them in and within a few minutes, she was doing a lot better. We spent the rest of the day there with Cailee saying, "I just want to go home." I felt so bad for her. I wanted to take her home, but I know that this is for her benefit. Towards the end she wanted to hold Madie and it was so sweet.
Madie grabbed onto Cailee's fingers and they just looked at eachother for a little bit. I think she remembers her from heaven. Just very sweet. Once Cailee got her IV out, she got to eat dinner. She ordered Mac and Cheese and Broccoli. I'm not sure I know to many kids who would order broccoli over all the other things she could have ordered. She didn't end up eating it, but she didn't seem to eat a whole lot of anything.


When she was done we loaded up and headed for home at 5:45 p.m. I know we are in for a long three more Fridays from here on out, but I know that we are doing all we can to help her get better. I will admit there are times I wonder why she has to go through all of this. She's five...all she should have to worry about is who she's going to play with at recess.
We are very proud of you Cailee. We know this is not easy, but know we are always here for you. Now and forever! We love you sooo much. A special thanks to Aunt Donna and Angela for taking care of Abby and Brandon. I know they are in good hands and they had a great time. I really appreciate everything that everyone has done for us. We couldn't have gone through this without all the help!

I just thought this was a cute picture of Madie. My Mom was holding her while I was doing something with Cailee. I couldn't resist taking a picture of such a sweet face!


7 comments:

Our Future Rooted in Our Past said...

Cailee is a brave little girl. I am totally impressed with her and with you Christy.

Guymon Family said...

I'm glad all went okay. I hope the meds help and she can feel better soon.

Darren Johnson Family said...

Maddie looked like a baby doll in Cailee's arms. I didn't even realize that you had another baby. What a brave little girl. I agree that little children shouldn't have to go through this but we can also learn so much from them. They seem to always endure it with such great spirits.

Kathy&Mike said...

Oh, she is a brave little soldier. How precious! I hope you are all doing well now.

Itty-Bitty Portraits said...

Christy,
Hey there, I am a friend of Charlie and Jamie Cooley and Jamie told me last night your daughter has what my daughter has. I am so sorry to read about her tough days. NS is such a challenging thing. Me and several other mom's with children who have NS have a little message board on yahoo and we would love to support you and let you vent if you ever need someone to talk to that has been there too. I hope this week is a great one and Cailee starts feeling better soon. You chan check out my blog www.daddyandhisgirls.blogspot.com on the side there are 3 other mom's with kiddo's who have NS. Take care,
Tina Stinson

LeMira said...

I know how hard it is to watch your kid suffer with something that is supposed to be so helpful. She was so brave, and so were you! We love you and hope this doesn't become too routine -- that it will work for her.

Chad, Mindy and girls said...

Hope Cailee can start to feel better soon...you are tough!