The happiest place on earth...is right where I wanna be...with my own family!

The happiest place on earth...is right where I wanna be...with my own family!

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

OUCH...Cailee's 2nd treatment

Cailee's 2nd treatment went well. Her face was swollen that day, but it didn't seem to bother her. Fortunately she doesn't seem to be affected when her face is puffier. It was a bit of a rough start...the nurse had a hard time getting the IV in this time. Cailee's veins didn't want to cooperate for some reason. They wanted to put the IV in the other hand than the first one, but when they tried the other hand, her vein blew, so they went to her upper arm in her right arm. The nurse could feel the vein, but for some reason when she went to put the needle in the vein, it would move on her. After a number of tries of poking, she got it in the vein and it blew. By that time, Cailee was understandibly beside herself upset and the nurse said she couldn't do it anymore. She said Cailee probably already hate her enough and she just couldn't upset her anymore. The nurse called in a guy who must put in IV's a lot because he got it in the first try. I was so glad to have that part over with.


The rest of the day went much better. Cailee's kindergarten teacher sent some Christmas movies with her to watch, so she had some movies she hadn't seen before and it seemed to entertain her for a while. She was a bit grogier than the first time. She didn't ask to go home as often...I think she is starting to understand that she has to do this. The nurses were so sweet and pretty much gave her whatever she wanted. She got to have chocolate ice cream, sherbet and they gave her a cute little baby doll cradle and doll that the local Kawana's Club donated to the hospital's pediatric unit. Cailee LOVES it. She told me, "Mom, I was going to ask for a baby doll cradle for Christmas, but now I don't have to."


We were able to go home at 3:30 this time. Since we didn't have to back track this time, we were able to be done two hours earlier. I'm guessing this will be about how long the next two will take. Half way done...
Cailee's bruise from the second attempt at getting an IV in...OUCH.

One of the monitors they put on her to monitor her heart.

Cailee showing her IV.

She didn't have to have as big of a board this time. She enjoyed being able to use her fingers.

Showing off her cradle and doll.

Hugging her new dolly.

"Chillin' with my sis."


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure the first nurse did the best she could, but... I wish they wouldn't practice on kids like that, especially in this situation where Cailee is going to need on-going treatment and the last thing she needs to deal with is a fear of needles. They need someone inserting the IV's who can do it right the first time.

I remember taking one of my babies into the ER, the nurse poked and poked my baby, until finally another nurse came in and said to her, "How many holes are you going to put in him?! Go get someone who knows how to put an IV in a baby!"

christy said...

I don't think I could have handled it with a baby. It was hard enough not to yell for them to stop with Cailee. I'm paranoid about her getting the IV in this next time.